Tears for an old Friend.

Ok, I am sitting here with tears in my eyes.

Why? I hear you cry.

Well it's like this: I was researching translations of the text of codex sinaticus, and one thought led to another, and so one link led to another and, somehow I ended up on Sir Terry Pratchett's wiki page. And I read this. *

At last, Sir Terry, we must walk together.
Terry took Death's arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night.
The End.

And the tingles started in the nape of my neck, ran right down my back, and up across my scalp, pulling the skin at my temples, and tears welled in my eyes.

Some time ago I made the video in the following link, Friends and fans.  ** In which I described meeting Sir Pterry, and why I thought he had millions of friends, rather than millions of fans.

Don't take me wrong, I am a huge Tolkien fan, also CS Lewis *** and others, but it always seems like Sir Pterry leaped out of the page, no matter what characters or scenarios he was writing, unlike any author I have ever known. And I will forever think of him as a friend.

And now a friend I have lost.

And I miss him.

And I needed to say it.

I know we have the books, and I am greatful there will be one last 'letter' from my old friend. In the form of "The Shepherd's Crown".

And I have no wish for anyone to take these tears from me, they are mine for my friend. Grief is like that, one is reminded, remembers and weeps. Even though he would probably never have remembered meeting me. But that's Ok friends give their friendship unconditionally, as sir Pterry give that sense of friendship and respect for his fans in his writing.

I cannot say how much I want to read his last words to us, his millions of friends. And now I need a hankie. ****



* Not for the first time.

** I don't think I am that good at the talking head thing, so I don't think I will do it again. If there is a camera in the room I think I need a guitar in my hand.

*** I wish he'd stayed an Atheist.

**** I know, I'm an old soppy hippy. +

+ Is it possible to write anything about Sir Pterry without using footnotes?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DEATH

Biker secret.