AFTER THE DAY: The History of the Valley. Part 1: The history of 'The Day' INTRODUCTION Jayne Keeper of the books.

June, 10th,  15AtD. 

I have no idea how to write a 'history'. The books tell me there are sources, Primary, secondary and so on. They also tell how sources can have 'bias', and so we should be wary of who is writing or speaking, and what stories they might like to tell us, which might not be the truth, or perhaps only a part of the truth.
I will do the best I can. I might have a bias myself, so I must tell you something about me, so you can decide how truthful my stories are.
I was born about a Year before 'The Day'. Sometimes I think I remember something, but they are like shadows, that slip away when I try and grasp them. I remember nothing of my father, not his name, just sometimes perhaps a face, though it might be someone else. Of my mother I remember a little, a sad face, sometimes warmth, but often deep cold. The sound of her voice, often loving, sometimes angry. Playing Patty Cake. But not being able to wake her, stays most in my mind.
Leah, told me she almost survived the long winter, another month and she would have seen the first spring for three years. But it was not to be. I would have died too, if Leah had not found me as she hunted for firewood, books, tins of food, anything which might be useful. She collected them in what I now know was a 'shopping trolly'. I wanted her to help me wake mummy, she followed me inside the house. She knelt beside my mother's body, feeling her, leah putting her ear close to my mothers face, shaking her, trying to wake her. Then she told me, quietly kindly, with sad eyes, 'Mummy has gone to sleep, and she can't ever wake up, but I know she wants me to take care of you.'
I remember I didn't want to go, I can't remember tears, I do remember anger. But Leah waited for me to accept. I know I wanted to 'bring' Mummy, but Leah  said she couldn't manage that. And at last I accepted and I left the House with Leah. I remember a long walk and then a night in a tent, which was surprisingly warm, and two more days walking and nights in the tent, before at last we reached the community. And all the time Leah  told me stories.
That is my memory of those first years, all the stories that everyone told. Luke, Mary, Leah, Malcom, Joshuah, and the rest. These are the stories I remember being told. The first are about the Day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DEATH

If we Suppose....